23.8.05

Safety Day at ABB

Today we got to be involved in a fire drill. However, it wasn't like the good old high school fire drills. It was Keegan, Lindsey, Tyler and I involved, and we were volunteered as 'actors' in an emergency situation. The emergency situation revolved around a fire, and apparent good timing of a bunch of other accidents too. The idea was that the emergency workers weren't supposed to know who the actors were and the people going about their business weren't supposed to know about the emergency at all.

Getting prepped

They went full out with make up too. They made a big realistic looking bloody gash on Tyler's head from an accident in the lab. Lindsey has consumed Chlorine gas and was dying, complete with purple lips and pale white skin. Keegan was about to have a stroke, and had pale skin and sweat on his forehead. I got no makeup, I played a 'panicked' person and had to run around acting panicked and cause others to panic.

Tyler with a head gash


Lindsey dying in the basement

The emergency was set off with an explosion and a fog machine to simulate fire. I started by walking through the halls waiting for the emergency to start. Not too many of the workers seemed disturbed by the big plumes of white smoke outside their windows. Not even by the phone alarms that started going off. People did start noticing Tyler lying in the hall with his bloody head, and then the emergency workers showed up and started to evacuate people.

Smoke coming out of the building


Firefighters coming to save us

I wasn't supposed to leave unless dragged out so I just had to run around freaking out and then every time they told me to exit the building I was supposed to go up a floor. Don't know what that simulates but whatever. I ended up on the 2nd floor (3rd in Canada) and it seemed like I had been forgotten. It's hard to act panicked when no one else is around, so eventually I went down to floor one and sat in a corner looking stressed. Then one of the emergency workers came around and asked if I was okay and I started asking him a bunch of questions like 'what's going on' and 'there's a fire' and 'what's going to happen' and 'where did everybody go?' The only answer I got was 'Kein Englisch.' Great. He eventually got the idea and dragged me out of the building. Tyler, Keegan and Lindsey were being treated outside as far as I could see. They had run into their own difficulties.

Lindsey getting dragged out

People thought Tyler's cut was real, and tried to console him in German. Since Lindsey was 'unconscious' the workers took off her glasses and she didn't know where they were. But Keegan gets the first prize. He acted out his epileptic seizure on the lawn in front of the building, and apparently someone freaked out and called an ambulance. Good actor I guess. Pretty strange fire drill though, all in all. One good thing though is they bought us all lunch for volunteering.

Free lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home